Rangkuman Materi Recount Text
Sekarang, kita akan bahas tentang teks bahasa Inggris yang membicarakan tentang pengalaman (experience) dan riwayat hidup (biography). Kita sudah pasti pasti punya pengalaman: pengalaman kita ketika liburan sekolah atau pengalaman lainnya yang menyenangkan ataupun yang tidak mengesankan dan pengalaman tersebut adalah peristiwa yang sudah terjadi dan pastinya dituliskan secara naratif (bentuk narasi). Jadi recount text (sama halnya dengan narrative dan spoof text) adalah teks yang dituangkan secara naratif (berbentuk cerita).
Recount adalah teks yang menceritakan pengalaman seseorang atau rangkaian kejadian/peristiwa di masa lampau yang dituangkan dalam bentuk cerita. Recount juga menjelaskan tentang biografi (riwayat hidup seseorang). Namun, yang membedakan recount dari narrative text adalah recount text tidak memiliki complication (krisis atau masalah) dan juga resolution (penyelesaian masalah).
Tujuan (purpose) dari recount text adalah menceritakan kejadian/peristiwa di masa lampau (to retell past experience)
Untuk membedakan dari teks bahasa Inggris yang lain, recount text memiliki struktur atau kerangka sebagai berikut:
- Orientation (pengenalan): Bagian ini menjelaskan tentang latar (setting) waktu, tempat, dan orang-orang yang terlibat dalam cerita pada teks tersebut. Biasanya teks recount melibatkan kata ganti I (saya) atau we/our (kita) sebagai sudut pandang (point of view) orang pertama.
- Events (peristiwa): Bagian events menjelaskan tentang kejadian-kejadian yang berlangsung secara kronologis di masa lampau dan dituangkan secara naratif.
- Reorientation (penutup cerita): Bagian ini bersifat opsional. Menjelaskan tentang akhir dari kejadian-kejadian dalam teks
Quick tips menghafal struktur recount text:
- O = Orientation
- Seng = Sequence of events
- Oreo = Reorientation
Recount text memiliki fitur-fitur kebahasaan khusus yang membedakan teks tersebut dengan English text yang lainnya. Berikut ini adalah fitur kebahasaan recount text.
- Menggunakan definitive noun; I, my group, dll
- Menggunakan kata ganti (pronoun):she, they, my, their, your, dll
- Menggunakan konjungsi urutan waktu (chronological connector); then, first day, second day. Last day, after that, finally, dll
- Menggunakan kata kerja konektif (linking verb);was, were, saw, heard, looked so, seem to be, dll
- Menggunakan frasa kata sifat (adjective phrase): very amazing, so impressed, happy, bautiful, good enough, dll.
- Menggunakankata kerja tindakan (action verb);looked, went, changed, swam,slep,dll
- Menggunakan simple past tense: verb 2, did not + verb 1, was, were, could, would, dll.
Berikut ini adalah beberapa contoh recount text!!! Silakan bacalah dengan baik dan kita analisis generic structures dan language features-nya. (Perhatikan kata/frasa yang dihuruf miring dalam teks!)
Recount text 1 (Experience):
My Busy Day
Sequence of events:
First, at the morning, I did my presentation’s assignment with my partner, she was Nurhidayah. It took 3 hours. And then we went to the campus for joining lecture. But, the lecturer said that our presentation would be started next week. It made us disappointed. The class was finished at 12.30.
After that, I had to go home because my grandmother was in a bad condition. She was hospitalized. So, it was a must for me to back home at that time. When I got there, there were so many members of my family. There were about 10 people. My aunt, my niece, my uncle and some of my cousins. We all hoped that our grandmother would get better soon.
- Kata ganti (pronoun):I, she, they, it, us, our
- Konjungsi urutan waktu (chronological connector); first, then, after that,
- Kata kerja konektif (linking verb);was, were, be
- Frasa kata sifat (adjective phrase): busy, disappointed, better, bad
- Kata kerja tindakan (action verb): spent, did,
- Bentuk lampau (Simple past tense): was, were, took, said, would, had to, dll.
Recount text 2 (Experience):
Last weekend was my luckiest day ever. Many good things were coming toward me. When the morning broke in Sunday morning, I woke up and planned to jog around the neighborhood. So I changed my clothes and went to the bathroom to wash my sleepy face. As I stepped in the bathroom, I landed my foot on soap in the floor and felt down. What a perfect morning for me! Next, I began my jogging and saw my gorgeous neighbor, jogging to. I though it was a good fortune to omit the gap between us. So I jogged to him and say hello. But, how poor of me, it was not him. It just someone I never met before who looked like to him. I was going home with people laugh at me along side of the street.
When I got home, the breakfast already settled and I immediately spooned a big portion of rice and ate. After I have done my breakfast my mother came up and said that the meal has not ready yet and she said that I may have a stomachache if I ate it. It was proven; I had a stomachache for the next three days.
I past my weekend lie down on me bed and am served as a queen. That was not really bad, wasn’t it.
- Kata ganti (pronoun):I, it, him, me
- Konjungsi urutan waktu (chronological connector); next, when I …
- Kata kerja konektif (linking verb);was, were, be
- Frasa kata sifat (adjective phrase): luckiest, bad, sleepy, perfect, gorgeous, good, poor
- Kata kerja tindakan (action verb): woke up, planned, changed, stepped up, landed, felt down, saw, jogged, got home, came up
- Bentuk lampau (Simple past tense): was, were, took, planned, had, changed, dll.
Recount text 3 (Biography)
DR.GSSJ Ratulangi (1890-1949)
Gerungan Saul Samuel Jacob Ratulangi, who was well-known as Sam Ratulangi, was born on November 5, 1890 in Tondano, North Sulawesi. After graduating from his “Holden” school in Tondano, he continued his study at the Technical School (KWS) in Jakarta. The he moved to Bandung and worked for railroad company in south Priangan.
While he was working for the railroad company, he was badly treated by the Dutch. His salary was lower than the Dutch worker, although their ranks and education were the same as his. This bad treatment hurt his nationalist feeling. He determined to improve his knowledge and education as high as he could. He wanted to devote his life for the advancement of his nation.
In 1915 he succeeded in getting a diploma. He got his doctor degree in mathematic and natural sciences in Switzerland. In Holland he was elected leader of the organization of Asian students. Returning from Holland, Sam Ratulangi taught mathematic in AMS (a kind of SMA during the Dutch occupation) in Yogyakarta. Then he moved to Bandung and set up an Indonesian Insurance Company. He was appointed secretary of “Dewan” Minahasa in Manado for three years, 1924-1927. He opened a new land for farming for the sake of the people, and set up an institution. In his hard struggle and protest against the Dutch government, he banned the “kerja paksa” (a practice in which people were forced to work hard without being paid) in Minahasa.
Contoh Soal Recount Text Jawaban & Pembahasannya
One Christmas in 2007, I was joining a final test try out at school. It was held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
One of my schoolmates, Rini, asked me to accompany her to the bus stop. When we arrived there, suddenly the heavy rain fell down from the sky. Rini suggested me to go home soon. In other case, the bus hadn’t come.
It was still raining when I was home. The rain did not stop and became bigger when the night had come. People were standing in front of their house, hoping that the flood would not come. In the middle of the night, I got news that South Purwodadi had been drowned.
(1) The next day, Purwodadi had become a flood area. (2) All activities were paralyzed. (3) No one went for work or school because the land had been covered by flood. (4)However, I thank God for not allowing the flood entered my house. (5) Even my house had been changed into an emergency kitchen. It was so crowded there. I and my father took a walk around the center market and Central Purwodadi. All that we could see was just water. At night, the flood looked like a beautiful ocean with the moonlight on it. I felt as if I were one of the passengers of Titanic who was sailing on the sea.
Finally, the flood was starting to decrease in the next morning. My family and I cleaned our front yard together. That was the greatest flood that I had ever experienced in my hometown.
What are generic structures of the text?
- Introduction, events, resolution
- Orientation, complication, reorientation
- Orientation, sequence of events, reorientation
- Evaluation, events, reorientation
- Introduction, events, conclusion
Struktur teks (generic structures) dari recount adalah orientation (pengenalan), events/sequence of events (rangkaian peristiwa), dan reorientation (penutup).
Why did Rini and the writer decide to go home soon after they had arrived in the bus stop?
- Because the bus did not come
- As it started to rain and the rain was getting bigger.
- Since they were too late of going to school
- Due to the occuring flood in front of their houses
- Owing to the writer’s suggestion to Rini
Alasan Rini dan penulis memutuskan segera pulang setelah mereka tiba di pemberhentian bis adalah hujan yang mulai turun dan semakin besar. (As it started to rain and the rain was getting bigger
What did the writer feel after she had seen the flood with the moonlight on it in that night?
- She/he felt that her/his activities had been paralyzed
- She/he felt Purwodadi had been drowned
- She/he felt that the ocean had been beautiful
- She/he felt the flood had been starting to decrease in the next morning.
- She/he felt as if she/he had been in the ocean like in the scene of Titanic Film.
Apa yang penulis rasakan setelah ia melihat banjir dengan sinar bulan di atasnya adalah dia merasa seolah-olah ada di adegan Film Titanic (She/he felt as if she/he had been in the ocean like in the scene of Titanic Film)
Look at paragraf 4, what sentence in the text does not show the unique language features found in recount text?
Kalimat 4 However, I thank God for not allowing the flood entered my house. Tidak menunjukan fitur kebahasaan yang unik dari recount text karena ada kata kerja (verb) yang menggunakan bentuk present, yaitu thank. Sedeangkan recount text menggunakan kaidah past tense. Jadi thank seharusnya thanked.
What is the first paragraph of the text above called? What aspects did you find in that paragraph?
- There are setting of time, place, and participants involving in the story.
- There is the introduction of main character.
- There is the setting of time, place, and situation in the story
- There is the clue that shows the crisis of the story
- There is the relevance between the setting of the story with the events in next paragraph.
Paragraf satu (the first paragraph) dalam recount text adalah orientation. Bagian ini membahas tentang latar waktu (setting of time), tempat (place), dan pelaku yang terlibat dalam cerita (participants involving in the story)