Soal UTBK Bahasa Inggris Tahun 2017 Dan Pembahasannya
The following text for the question 1 – 3
A panic attack is a sudden feeling of terror. Usually it does not last long, but it many feel like forever. The cause can be something as normal as driving over a bridge or flying in an airplane. It can happen even if the person has driven over many bridges or flown many times before. The signs of panic disorder include a fast heartbeat, sweaty hands, difficulty breathing, and a lightheaded feeling.
At the first a person may have no idea what is wrong. The first appearance is between the ages of eighteen and twenty-four. In some cases, it develops after tragedy. For example, the death of a loved one or some other difficult situation. In the United States, the National Institute of Mental Health says more than two million people are affected in any one-year period. The American Psychological Association says that it happens more to women than men. It can last anywhere from a few months to lifetime.
Some people who suffer a panic attack develop a phobia, a deep fear of ever repeating the activity that brought on the attack. But experts say panic disorder can be treated. Doctors might suggest anti-anxiety or antidepressant medicines. Talking to a counsellor could help a person learn to deal with or avoid a panic attack. There are breathing methods, for example, that might help a person calm down.
Panic disorder is include among what mental health professionals call anxiety disorders. A study published last week reported a link between anxiety disorders and several physical diseases. It says these include thyroid disease, lung and stomach problems, arthritis, migraine headaches, and allergic conditions.
(Adapted from: http://manythings.org/voa/health/4027.html)
- Mental hazards
- Physical diseases
- Emotional problems
- Panic disorders
- Anxiety attacks
Topik pada suatu teks dapat diketahui dengan menentukan gagasan pokoknya. Perhatikan pada setiap paragraf gagasan pokoknya menjelaskan tentang panic attack atau panic disorder. Maka topik pada teks di atas adalah panic disorder.
Kata “lightheaded” terdapat pada kalimat “The signs of panic disorder include a fast heartbeat, sweaty hands, difficulty breathing, and a lightheaded feeling. Kata tersebut memiliki arti yang sama dengan dizzy (pusing).
- The need for anti-depressant medicines for those suffering a panic attack
- The connection between the disorder and some physical disease
- The need for talking to a counsellor to deal with a panic attack
- The possibility of developing a panic attack to a phobia
- The possible treatment of a panic attack
Paragraph 4: Panic disorder is include among what mental health professionals call anxiety disorders. A study published last week reported a link between anxiety disorders and several physical diseases. It says these include thyroid disease, lung and stomach problems, arthritis, migraine headaches, and allergic conditions.
Paragraph tersebut menjelaskan beberapa penyakit fisik yang berhubungan dengan penyakit kecemasan, yaitu: penyakit tiroid, masalah paru-paru dan perut, radang sendi, sakit kepala migrain, dan kondisi alergi.
The following text for the question 4 – 7
The application, games, and websites that are promoted as ‘educational’ are not always the best ones for supporting learning. The fact that they are interactive does not necessarily mean that they are much better than an old-fashioned workbook with its right and wrong answers. Children may enjoy these products for a while but then get a bit bored, and we now know that they are not the most appropriate or engaging way to learn.
Treat so-called ‘free’ application with caution. Some will expose your child to advertisiment. Others are designed to wait until your child is engaged in a game or storyline and then demand payment before they can go any further. This can lead to frustration as young children do not understand why they can not continue. Sometimes it is better to make a small payment in advance if the application promises no further purchases. However, some applications are free to download and completely free of advertisement or in-app purchases.
Physical activity, reading, and other more ‘traditional’ activities continue to play a very important part in children’s development. But, most parents do rely on screen devices from time to time to engage their child while they are busy with something else. This is not a problem in itself, just as long as children’s time is made up of balanced range of activities.
The author reminds readers to be more careful with commercialism in free applications in paragraph(s) …
- 1 dan 4
- 2 dan 3
Paragraf yang menjelaskan tentang “penulis mengingatkan pembaca untuk lebih berhati-hati dengan komersialisme di aplikasi gratis”
Perhatikan kalimat di bawah ini!
Treat so-called ‘free’ application with caution. Some will expose your child to advertisiment. Others are designed to wait until your child is engaged in a game or storyline and then demand payment before they can go any further.
Kalimat di atas terdapat pada paragraf ke-2
How does the idea in sentence 6 relate to the other ideas in paragraph 2?
- Sentence 6 elaborates the other ideas in paragraph 2
- Sentence 6 is the result of the other ideas in paragraph 2
- Sentence 6 strongly contradicts the other ideas in paragraph 2
- Sentence 6 is the implementation of the theory discussed in paragraph 2
- Sentence 6 provides another type of free applications discussed in paragraph 2
Pada paragraf ke-2 pada kalimat “Some will expose your child to advertisiment” menjelaskan tentang jenis-jenis aplikasi gratis yang dijelaskan pada isi paragraf ke-2 secara keseluruhan.
The author would apparently agree that …
- Open-ended games can stimulate children’s love for learning
- Some games and applications are boring because they are too easy
- There is no convincing prediction for the future of the games and apps
- It is better to pay for games in advance so that children can learn freely
- Apps star rating provides users with reviews on the good things of games and apps
Pernyataan pada teks yang disetujui penulis terdapat di paragraf 2 kalimat “Sometimes it is better to make a small payment in advance if the application promises no further purchases.” Penulis setuju jika pembayaran lebih baik dilakukan lebih dahulu sehingga anak-anak tidak akan merasa frustasi karena tidak bisa melanjutkan aplikasinya.
Regarding busy parents reliance on screen device to help keep their children entertained, the author assumes that …
- It is the parents responsibility to make their children less engaged with screen devices
- Children whose parents are busy with their activities must usescreen devices less
- Parent need to be aware of their children’s need for varied activities
- Such parent’s reliance is acceptable as long as the children are given the right proportion of the other activities
- It is not tolerable as their children need to have more physical activities
Orang tua yang sibuk sangat bergantung pada media elektronik untuk menghibur anak-anak mereka. Pernyataan yang tersebut terdapat di paragraf 4 pada kalimat terakhir “This is not a problem in itself, just as long as children’s time is made up of balanced range of activities.” (asumsi penulis bahwa ketergantungan tersebut dapat dibenarkan selama anak-anak diberikan proporsi yang tepat dengan kegiatan lainnya).
The following text for the question 8-11
Light pollution is the change of natural light levels in the night environment produced by introduction of artificial light. Because of the continuous growth of the nighttime artificial lighting, this problem is increasingly debated. In fact, many localities have develoved regulations to restrict the wasteful loss of light into the sky and environment.
The expanding use of light at night is because humans are diurnal animals. They are trying to extend activities into the usually dark hours. This increasing use is driven by what seems common sense, and by the lighting industry with justifications that at first may seem correct. With few exceptions, everything we build is lit at night. This includes street, roads, bridges, airports, commercial, and industrial building, parking lots, sport centers and homes. Outdoor lighting continues to expend as more infrastructure are built. Lighting levels in public areas are often set high with one more secondary objectives in mind. For instance, building exteriors are often lit for a merely beautiful effect. Shopping centers are typically lit to attract shoppers. They also create a lively environment to stimulate spending. Lighting levels in public areas often set high to prevent crime, even though studies have not proven this to have any effect on crime rates. Indeed, the cores of our urban centers are bathed in light. The resulting light pollution can extend more than a hundred kilometers out from the city’s edge.
Reliable evidence shows that this artificial of the day produce serious and risky consequences to human health and environment. Ciszano, Falchi and Elvidge (2001) have studied the impact of light pollution on the night sky. The result indicates that more than 60% of world population live under light polluted skies (99% of the population of USA and Europe) and almost one-fifth of world terrain is under light polluted skies. In regards to human, there are no doubts that exposure to light at night (LAN) decreases pineal melatonin (a kind of hormone) production and secretion and are not only a source for phase shift in daily rhythms.
(Adapted from: www.elsevier.com/locate/jenvman,2011)
- Humans are day light active creature
- Humans require light to live like animals
- Humans and animals equally need light to live
- Both humans and animals are active during the day
- Humans and animals try to prolog their activities at night
Pada kalimat “ … humans are diurnal animals” in line 4 dapat dinyatakan kembali dengan kalimat yang tepat yaitu manusia adalah mahluk yang aktif di siang hari (Humans are day light active creature).
- Research evidence indicating the danger of light pollution on human health
- Further explanation about why and how people use more light
- More examples of light and causes that might
- The use of regulation to minimize the effect of light
- Details on areas requiring light for business
Pada kalimat “In fact, many localities have develoved regulations to restrict the wasteful loss of light into the sky and environment” maksudnya penulis mengungkapkan fakta tentang pencegahan pemborosan cahaya. Maka pernyataan tersebut diikuti dengan “The use of regulation to minimize the effect of light.”
- Providing light could increase economic activities
- Both humans and animals rely on light for survival
- Using more light may mean increasing light pollution
- Light should be provided according to people’s needs
- Building unfrastructure in mainly used for public facilities
Maksud penulis pada paragraf ke-2 adalah perhatikan kutipan di bawah ini:
Lighting levels in public areas are often set high with one more secondary objectives in mind. For instance, building exteriors are often lit for a merely beautiful effect. Lighting levels in public areas often set high. Indeed, the cores of our urban centers are bathed in light. The resulting light pollution can extend more than a hundred kilometers out from the city’s edge.
Maka dapat disimpulkan maksud dari paragraf ke – 2 adalah “Using more light may mean increasing light pollution.”
Which of the following obviously shows the author’s bias in the passage?
- This artificial extension of the day produces serious and risky consequence to human
- Many localities have developed regulation to restrict the wasteful loss of light
- Exposure to light at night decreases pineal melatonin production and secretion
- More than 60% or world population lives under light polluted skies
- Building exteriors are often lit for a merely beautiful effect
Perhatikan kalimat di bawah ini!
“Reliable evidence shows that this artificial of the day produce serious and risky consequences to human health and environment. Ciszano, Falchi and Elvidge (2001) have studied the impact of light pollution on the night sky”, kalimat tersebut adalah kalimat utama pada paragraf ke-3. Maka yang dimaksud oleh penulis adalah “This artificial extension of the day produces serious and risky consequence to human.”
The following text for the question 12 – 15
The second advantage of herbal medicine is the absence of long term effect. Repeated and long-term use of herbal remedies does no result in long-term effects on the body. Certain pharmaceutical drugs like paracetamol when used for long periods results in permanent body damage and long-term ill effect. Herbal remedies on the other hand are not harmful to the body in the long-term. One can use most herbal remedies repeatedly and regularly without any worries.
Another benefit of using herbal remedies is that they are completely natural. They do not have chemical composition or drugs. Due to their natural nature they can be consumed regularly. These natural remedies also result in a better immune system.
Furthermore, herbal remedies have multipurpose benefits. For instance, ginger is usually used as an herbal remedy for colds and digestive disorders, but one can also use it in their tea, beverages, and daily home cooked food for flavoring. Similarly, herbal extracts for peppermint can not only add spice and flavor to your kitchen recipe, but can also be used as anti-depressant.
Herbal remedies are absolutely inexpensive and sometimes even absolutely free of cost. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, herbal remedies have no manufacturing costs, making them far cheeper. Some herbal remedies like ginseng, peppermint and ginger can even be grown in your backyard.
Herbal remedies are easily accessible. Certain herbal remedies like ginger, peppermint and basil leaves can be acquired anywhere in the world. One can even visit any local drug store and purchase herbal remedies without any trouble. Besides this you can even grow some of the remedies in your garden.
Another excellent benefit of herbal remedies is that can be used to cure people of all ages. Children, adults and even elderly people can resort to herbal remedies to get rid of their ailment.
Due to their natural nature, herbal remedies most often do not cause an allergic reaction in the body. Several people are allergic to certain chemical that are part of pharmacheutical drugs. Herbal remedies on the other hand create no allergic reaction.
(Adapted from: http://www.homeremediescare.com/)
The paragraph preceding the passage most likely discusses …
- Disadvantages of long term treatment using herbal medicines
- The use of herbal medication for a long term treatment
- Long term effect of herbal remedies on the body
- Herbal medication and its advantages
- One advantage of herbal as medicine
Perhatikan kalimat pertama pada paragraf ke-1 “The second advantage of herbal medicine is the absence of long term effect” yaitu keuntungan kedua penggunaan obat-obatan herbal. Maka paragraf sebelumnya kemungkinan membahas tentang “One advantage of herbal as medicine.” Yaitu keuntungan pertama penggunaan herbal sebagai obat-obatan.
What is the author’s attitude toward the topic of the passage?
Sikap penulis terhadap topik pada teks di atas, perhatikan kalimat-kalimat berikut ini:
- Herbal remedies are absolutely inexpensive and sometimes even absolutely free of cost
- Herbal remedies are easily accessible
- Another excellent benefit of herbal remedies is that can be used to cure people of all ages
Dari kalimat-kalimat tersebut penulis menyetujui (approving) topik yang dibahas pada teks.
Based on the passage, the more complicated the manufacturing process, the …
- Better the drug quality
- More effective the drugs
- Cheaper the price of drugs
- Higher the price of medicines
- Less frequent the allergic reaction
Perhatikan paragraph ke – 4: “Herbal remedies are absolutely inexpensive and sometimes even absolutely free of cost. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, herbal remedies have no manufacturing costs, making them far cheeper. Some herbal remedies like ginseng, peppermint and ginger can even be grown in your backyard. Maka “the more complicated the manufacturing process, the higher the price of medicines.”
What is the best summary of the passage?
- Some advantages can be enjoyed when someone uses herbal medicine. They do not result in long term effects and allergic reaction. They are natural and are useful for many purposes. They can be obtained easily at a low price, or even for free. Herbal remedies can be used by people of different age groups.
- One of the advantages of using herbal medication is its use for several purpose. Ginger can be used for health treatment as well as for meal flavouring. Similarly, peppermint gives fresh taste on your food and serves as an anti-depressant. It is then very useful to grow herbs in your garden.
- Being useful for some purpose simultaneously make herbs great choices. People can use them, not only for flavouring food, but also for medication. They are cheap or even free of charge. People can grow them easily at home.
- The best positive side of herbal medicine is its natural nature. It is not only useful for adults, but also for young people. The price is affordable. Moreover, they can be used for several purposes simultaneously.
- Herbal remedies are useful for some reasons. The main reasons is its low price. People can even have it without payment. Some are useful for multiple purpose.
Ringkasan yang paling tepat dapat diketahui dengan melihat setiap gagasan utama yang terdapat pada teks. Maka: “Some advantages can be enjoyed when someone uses herbal medicine. They do not result in long term effects and allergic reaction. They are natural and are useful for many purposes. They can be obtained easily at a low price, or even for free. Herbal remedies can be used by people of different age groups” paling mewakili isi teks di atas.
Kini kamu bisa bertanya soal yang tidak ada di artikel kami.
Ajukan pernyataan dan dapatkan jawaban dari tim ahli kami.
Untuk bertanya KLIK DISINI